I recently found the Nakd Cashew Cookie Bars, and really liked eating them as an energy boost before or after I go to the gym, however I soon decided that I didn’t want to pay the 90p a bar that I was doing in the shop I found them. When I looked at the ingredients, I realised they only had 2 ingredients – 51% cashews and 49% dates! So I decided to go out and make my own.
- 210g dates (pitted)
- 200g cashews (unsalted)
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- Food processor
- Pit the dates if necessary and roughly chop them.
- Empty the cashews into the food processor and blend them until fine. (I used a 200g bag because that was all I could find, but so long as you use slightly more dates than cashews it will work the same.)
- Once blended, add the dates and blend again. (Adding the dates separately allows the cashews to blend evenly without getting stuck on the dates.)
- Once both ingredients are blended together, see if the mixture will hold as balls. If it won’t, add some agave nectar and blend again. (Honey should work too)
- Shape the mixture into balls and store at room temperature.
Mine turned out more textured than the smooth bar I was inspired by, but I actually need up preferring them this way.
Some other ideas I had for taking the recipe further were coating them in chocolate or adding desiccated coconut into the mixture. If you have any ideas let me know and I might try them next time!